Your Guide to Permeable Pavers
If you’ve decided to hire a paving contractor to help you build a patio, driveway, or other construction using interlocking concrete pavers, the next step is to choose the type of pavers that you would like to use.
Concrete pavers come in a wide range of patterns, colors, shapes, sizes, and surface textures, giving you the ability to fully customize your paver construction to your exact specifications. With that said, though, one of the most important decisions you will need to make regarding the pavers that are used to build your next project is the choice between permeable and non-permeable pavers.
To help you out, we’ll take a look at what permeable pavers are, the benefits that they offer, and the various situations where permeable pavers are an ideal choice. Consider this your ultimate guide to permeable pavers that will provide you with all of the information you need to know before you begin your next paving project.
What are Permeable Pavers?
As the name suggests, permeable pavers are pavers that are water permeable, meaning that permeable pavers allow water to seep through the concrete and into the soil beneath the paver rather than flowing across the surface of the pavers and into your landscape.
Permeable pavers work thanks to the open joints between the pavers that are filled with grass, gravel, or another water-permeable material as opposed to the joints between traditional pavers, which are typically filled with a solidifying agent such as mortar that is not water- permeable.
The Benefits of Permeable Pavers
Permeable pavers offer a number of noteworthy benefits that make them an ideal choice for many paving projects. These benefits include benefits such as:
- Permeable Pavers are Eco-Friendly – Stormwater runoff presents a number of environmental concerns. For one, water runoff tends to collect contaminants along its journey and can carry those contaminants into the natural waterways. Runoff also has the potential to disrupt or overwhelm natural waterways, leading to erosion, flooding, and other environmental issues. Permeable pavers, however, are meant to eliminate water runoff entirely and instead direct excess water back into the soil, making them a very eco-friendly choice.
- Permeable Pavers Minimize Flooding– If you live in a flood-prone area where landscape damage due to excess rainfall and excess stormwater runoff is a frequent concern, permeable pavers may be the ideal solution to help keep flooding at a minimum. By allowing water to seep back into the soil at a gradual but steady rate, permeable pavers are able to keep water from flowing down your home’s drainage system and into your landscape. In all but the heaviest rainfall, this simple solution should be enough to protect your home and landscape against flood damage.
- Permeable Pavers can Save You Money- If you are in the process of building a new home, hiring a permeable paving contractor to build your walkway, driveway, and other paving constructions using permeable pavers may be able to save you a lot of money by enabling you to avoid having to install expensive drainage systems. Since permeable pavers are a drainage system in and of themselves, building with permeable pavers often negates the need for more costly drainage systems. Since permeable pavers don’t cost significantly more than traditional concrete pavers, building with permeable pavers can save you a lot of money in a number of scenarios.
Should I Choose Permeable Pavers?
Permeable pavers offer a number of significant benefits. If you’re still on the fence about whether or not permeable pavers are the right choice for your next paving project, though, take the time to answer these key questions:
- Do you live in a flood-prone area or an area that sees an excessive amount of rainfall on a regular basis?If so, building with permeable pavers may be able to help you avoid landscape damage due to excess runoff.
- Are you building a new home in a high-rainfall area?If so, building your paving constructions using permeable pavers may be able to help save you money by negating the need to install other drainage and water retention systems.
- Are you concerned about building your home in a way that is environmentally friendly? If so, permeable pavers are an ideal building material.
If you answered yes to any of the three questions above, permeable pavers may be the perfect choice for your next paving project.
Thinking of Hiring a Permeable Paving Contractor? Let Titan Pavers Help With Your Next Permeable Pavers Project
If you’ve decided that permeable pavers are the ideal building material for your next walkway, driveway, patio, or other paving project, we at Titan Pavers would love the opportunity to help you plan and install your next paver construction. At Titan Pavers, we are experts at all things related to paving in Los Angles, including installing permeable pavers.
To learn more about our permeable paver installation services and to receive a free quote on your next permeable pavers project, be sure to contact us today!